[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 27 01:52:39 EDT 2013

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts

Antennas:

3 el SteppIR up 32 feet: 10-15-20
Butternut HF-2V Vertical: 40-80
DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet: 40
---------------------------------

Conditions were not very good. The A index over the weekend went from 20 to 32
and back to 19 by the end of the contest. Only 7.5% of my Qs were in Europe.
This compares to 28% for the very good conditions in last year's contest.

USA stations accounted for 52% of my Qs. At times it seemed like this contest
was USA stations chasing other USA sations!

All my equipment functioned well and I had my sleep times worked out pretty
well. I got 2 two hour segments of sleep the first night, and 6 hours sleep the
second night. That worked pretty well for  me at age 73 and I was quite alert
for the times I was operating. ...Not bad when I have been known to fall asleep
at movies or reading books after getting a FULL night's sleep!

My best Qs included:

40 M: BY5CD, 6V7S, and EF8M.  BY is very hard for me to work, especially on
40.
20 M: YJ0PO, 5W1SA, and 6V7S
15 M: 9M6, YJ0, 4O3A, D3AA, and 5W1SA
10 M: 5W1SA and VK6AA

I got HD8A on 10, 15, and 20 and he had very few callers each time. I had
expected huge piles on him since that entity has not been activated in a
while.

DXCC for this contest was only 63 and WAZ was 28.

I expect the scores will be lower this year than last. My Qs were down by 16%
from last year, and my score was down 41%.

This is a great contest, and it was a lot of fun. Everyone has the same
conditions and the challenge of contesting is how we can adapt to all of it!

See you in the Fall!  73,   Bill Parker  W8QZA - W6QU