[3830] WPX CW ND2T(@W6YX) M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue May 28 22:38:46 EDT 2013

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ND2T
Operator(s): K6UFO N7MH NF1R KZ2V W6RK ND2T K6SF N6DB
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: SCV

   20: 1054

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This is the third year in a row we did a lightly-staffed (lots
of operators but not much time from most), fun M/2. As in the
past we improved upon our previous years' score. But this year
we did it the hard way: ~300 more Qs; ~150 fewer prefixes.

W6YX is a busy club station. Radios, cables, antennas computers
and software are liable to change from day to day. Nothing is
ever the way you left it. K6UFO spent a day diagnosing the shack
and reconfiguring it for WPX. He wound up establishing three
operating positions and this was a very good thing, because one
of the MPs went deaf in the first minutes of the contest. The
buggy radio was fixed by N7MH later Friday night. Many thanks
to Rebar, N6DB, for the allowing us to use his superb K-line.
It saved the day.

Conditions were difficult. USA and Canada stations were always
available in great numbers. But DX, especially Europeans (at 11%
of Qs), were  difficult to hear and work. We did somewhat better
to Asia (26% of Qs), a long salt water shot for us. Friday night
only the strongest Europeans were heard on 20m. And no JAs at
all. Saturday and Sunday our operators got to work weird skew
path openings and practice persistence through numerous fills.
We had to search and pounce far more than usual. Typically we
can hear most stations spotted by NA spotters and work them in
one or two calls. This year there were plenty of spots that
led to nothing.

W6YX Stanford University Antennas:
10m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft, 5-el at 30 ft
15m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft, 5 el yagi at 25 ft
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft, 5 el yagi at 36 ft
40m: 4 el at 60 ft
80m: inverted vee at 50 ft
160m: "C" antenna off tower
Beverage receiving antennas