[3830] WPX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri May 31 06:19:47 EDT 2013

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

We all know that conditions were a little off, but the real story here was the
weather. I did not have the luxury of taking off times when I wanted to. 3
hours into the contest, I had to shut down due to lightning for an hour. On
Saturday afternoon another storm hit - no lightning, just some rain and LOTS of
wind, but we had a local power blackout from 2143z to 0401z. Thus, we had over 6
hours of unscheduled down time during the EU propagation peaks on 20 & 40.

I got a lot of sleep during the outage, and decided NOT to throw in the towel
because it was still possible to complete the contest with 36 hours of total op
time. I also noticed that conditions were improving and forecast to improve, and
hoped for good rate during the day on 15 when others would be taking their
remaining off time. I had only 1 hour of off time remaining after the outage,
and took it during one of 4 VERY slow hours before sunrise on Sunday. From
there, I operated through the remainder of the 20/hr doldrums to the end of the
contest. The rates picked up after sunrise. I think it worked out well, and look
forward to next year.

Roy -- AD5Q