[3830] CQWW SSB K0TV M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Nov 1 06:12:56 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K1BG K1XM K2TE KQ1F W1END K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/M HP
QTH: FN42hr

  160:   24     9       13
   80:  211    20       77
   40:  390    30      103
   20:  840    37      126
   15:  854    35      125
   10: 1582    32      135

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

We decided since K1LZ and KC1XX (in our section) were going M/2 instead of their
usual M/M, we would enter as a M/M and not worry about band changes and 10
minute rules. The object was to have fun and make a good score for the club.
Everyone certainly had fun.

As to Murphy...

For the most part, the antennas worked well and all could be turned, for a
change. We lost the 40 meter beam on Saturday night when I went to rotate the
antenna towards ZS. I ended up working the mult on the four square anyway. A
hawk landed on one of my 1296 loop yagis and tore it from the stacking frame
and it fell on the 15 meter beam detuning it in the process. Just before the
contest, a loud bang came from one of the amplifiers and took it off line.
Luckily another amp was available so we were running full power on all stations
by Saturday afternoon.

Conditions were outstanding and 10 meters was the highlight. The two fixed
stacks plus the rotatable high antenna worked well and we had fun on 10 meters.
I hope the solar flux holds up for the CW weekend.

I read a comment posted by W3LPL on Facebook about his operation this year and
I would like to send kudos to Frank on his decision to put inexperienced
operators on the air for training at a large multi. I have always done that
here and I welcome anyone wishing to operate. I think that bringing new blood
into contesting is one of the most important things we can do. Thanks Frank!

MVP for the weekend goes to K1BG for an iron pants effort both nights. Thanks
also to K1XM and KQ1F who came up to operate. KQ1F also prevailed upon me to
sign off some of her FAA Wings credits (in addition to hosting the contest, I'm
her Flight Instructor).

Looking forward to the CW weekend and I hope to work everyone there. May the
force be with the solar flux!

73, Jerry - K0TV