[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOSB/10 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Nov 1 20:48:37 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: WV

   20:   62    19       39
   15:
   10: 1490    34      120
------------------------------
Total: 1490    34      120  Total Score = 671,266

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A different experience with amazingly high solar flux. Running around even 28830
was productive when the band was packed Saturday, but rates were better for the
big guns down lower. Highest frequency I worked someone was about 28920, but
some stragglers were up higher = about 600 KHz of solid signals, pretty
impressive.

Friday evening 10 was disappointingly near closed working only TO1, XE,
KH&, and ZL. I had some good rates into EU Saturday especially 1130-1400Z
Saturday and again early Sunday on a clear 18603 until it was stolen away by a
W1 whom I am sure could hear me. Saturday I arrived a bit late at 1126Z, 2nd
QSO was SM5 with  a good signal, the band was pretty well wide open about 20
minutes before sunrise. UX was logged at 1137Z and first Russian a RV3 at
1140Z. I don't think I have ever worked so many Russians in one contest on 10M,
but beyond the very western edge of UA9, Asiatic Russians seemed to be absent in
the morning. By 14Z the UA1,3,4 areas were far less numerous and after 15Z, only
UR and UA6's were still workable. Highlight was having three fairly loud VU2's
call me between 1345 and 1453 and no doubt the band was open even longer. Low
light was impossible unruly  pile ups on 5H3EE and a C91 Sunday as EU was
fading out. 5H3EE is a good op, but the mob self-destructed any possibility of
him running a good rate and working down the pile up. Running ended for a while
around 1540Z Saturday, still many loud signals but most were zone 14 from SW EU.
 Germany and Italy seemed to fade out way before they should have, but around
17Z more northerly EU's appeared again including OH5. FR5 called in at 1714 for
a nice double mult, but no such luck with continental AF. I kept looking towards
AF into the afternoon with very dismal results in that direction, but plenty of
action was in from the douth as far north as CO and ZF. UA0BA in zone 18
coincidentally was worked at 18Z with his usual loud signal, after midnight at
his far northern Siberian QTH!My fiest JA logged was a JH1 at 2125, pretty
early and JA's were fairly sparse due mostly to the early opening/early time in
JA until 22Z. JA's were about as loud as they possibly can get here both
evenings, loudest about 20 db over S9 and even QRP guys very workable. I added
about 115 Q's to my log from that first JA until the end of any opening
Saturday evening around 0030Z, much better than anticipated. BW and YB were
chased for double mults. and I found T8 not very busy.

Sunday 10 did not open well enough for running until right around sunrise, but
signals may have been better overall. The most amazing was UP2L who was S7 on
scatter before the band opened and 20 db over S9 later when I was able to work
him!

Sunday after the EU opening was pretty frustrating, many pile ups hard to break
including loud but fresh meat JA's. DU and HL mults were added in the last
hour.

Many thanks to all who stopped by for a QSO; there were some very loud signals
and even those with poor antennas from EU were easily workable.

73, Jeff