[3830] SS CW K2QO SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 4 11:39:17 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K2QO
Operator(s): K2QO
Station: K2QO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WNY

Club: Niagara Frontier Radiosport

Comments:

Band conditions were good along with participation making this a very nice
contest. I am happy with my personal best score. Even a hideous LCR won't
change that. For me, staying in the chair along with more Run vs. S&P was
the key. I'm easily distracted and cannot generally sit still for very long,
hence my fascination with VHF roving where 2 hours at the the radio is a LONG
session.

The real reason for this soapbox is to comment on SOLP Assisted which I
entered. I figured that this category would allow me to get a sweep fairly
early so I wouldn't be sweating at the radio during the final few hours. As it
turned out, I had the sweep by mid afternoon on Sunday which allowed me to have
a few nice stress free runs. What I noticed, and maybe this was just me, but it
is really time consuming looking at the spots and RBN for the missing mults
only to give up a run frequency or chase someone who is not workable at that
time. At noon eastern time on Sunday I needed 10 sections and I got 8 of those
by running. Two I hunted from the band map, but I think I would have worked
them anyway while running as I heard them work S&P near my run
frequencies.

OK, is  there a bottom line here? Not really, Assisted was fun this run, QRP
has been fun in the past and for 2014 I'll likely pick my class 3 minutes
before the shotgun start just like this year!

73,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra
K3/100, Force 12 C4 at 50', 220' CF Dipole, Skookum Logger on Mac Mini.