[3830] SS CW AA5B Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 6 15:36:06 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AA5B
Operator(s): AA5B K5TA
Station: AA5B

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NM

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

I was very happy to operate again in a 2-man multi with my friend, K5TA. Scott
and I have done a fair number of these over the years.

Going in, I figured this station was good for about 200k, maybe 210k if we
worked hard and caught some breaks... so I'm pretty pleased (and maybe a bit
surprised) with our final claimed score. It's right up there with ones we had
in the 90s with a real station @ K9RS.

We used an internet spotting connection for finding mults in the first several
hours (got a sweep in about 7 hours), but no skimmer, and no direct input to
the logging computers (a pair of networked laptops). I don't think we looked at
it after that, but I did use that 3rd laptop for a Skype connection on Sunday
morning to see my youngest granddaughter take her first steps!

Inside:
TS950sdx + Titan amplifier
TS850 + SB220

The 40/20/15-meter antennas were carefully selected for their bi-directional
pattern, with heights that provided one-hop propagation to major population
centers ;-)  I picked up the 10-mtr yagi for $20 at a local hamfest last
January; signals were very loud on that band and I think we got out just fine,
but it seemed like there wasn't much activity there.

10: 3-el yagi @ 25 ft on a roof tripod
15: inverted vee with apex at 35 ft
20: inverted vee with apex at 45 ft
40: inverted vee with apex at 55 ft
80: inverted L, 40 ft up and 27 ft out

A new set of Array Solutions "field day" bandpass filters arrived
just in time for the contest, and they were wonderful. The 40 and 80 meter
antennas are as close as 10 feet at one point, and we didn't hear a whisper.

We're going to try to put a few more stations on the air for the phone weekend,
hoping to run up another decent Local club score. See you then!

73,
   Bruce AA5Banana