[3830] SS SSB W4PK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 17 21:31:57 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This is the first time since I switched to a new computer that I tried a SSB
contest.  The first thing I encountered was that the on-board audio board's mic
input was not functional although its line output was okay.  I then rerouted all
my audio cables to use a PCI-16 audio board which I had installed.

I have a Yahama CM500 head set with mic which I have going to the PCI-16 mic
input (through an isolation transformer), and the line out of that board is fed
to the mic input on my radio, again through an isolation transformer.  I also
had recorded some wav files during a previous SS contest.

I soon was getting reports of harsh-sounding audio so I stopped, switched my
radio (an IC7800) to a dummy load, and recorded the transmitted signal on a
different radio (a K3 with a KDVR option installed).  They are right, it does
sound harsh, even the wav files I had recorded previously.  However, I do have
voice messages recorded on my 7800 radio's 4 message buffers and they sound
fine.  Also, using my Icom SM-8 mic sounds fine.

So I do have some work to do to sort out what is going on here.  But I hardly
ever operate in SSB contests anyway since they give me splitting headaches
trying to sort out what the guys are saying.  So I think this will not be a top
priority for me!  But maybe some day I will look into it when I get caught up on
other projects.

73, Sam W4PK