[3830] SS SSB K9MU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 17 22:47:35 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K9MU
Operator(s): K9MU
Station: K9MU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

I gave my new station a good test run! W0AIH and N9ISN helped get my 50 foot
tower up and yagis stacked just a few days before the contest weekend. I got
the coax runs in the shack and connectors installed with only a couples minutes
to spare before the contest started. I crossed my finger and sure thing, the
Force 12 C4XL and 80M dipole I cut were almost right on! I’ve been waiting
for years to finally get a station where I can compete in domestic contests.

This was my first full-out 24 hour effort in a Sweepstakes contest. KB9OWD and
I were talking it up and we both decided wipe some on the old WI records.
KB9OWD operated the WE9V station and easily beat the record from 2002. We kept
exchanging our scores to keep us motivated. I came about 7,000 short of the low
power record from 1994. I never thought I would even come close.

It was hard not seeing spots or knowing what was going on so the majority of my
QSO’s were made running a frequency. I used my sub VFO to tune around me while
watching the panadapter for signals. I also used my old IC-746 with a G5RV
antenna to tune the bands I wasn’t operating on. I found many mults doing
this. My last two sections were NL and NT. Lots of big signals from the MWA
area!

Thanks for the Q's and see you in the next contest.

Justin, K9MU

Antennae:
Force 12 C4XL @ 50 feet
80 M Inverted “V” apex @ 45 feet