[3830] SS SSB K8BL SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 18 11:50:27 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K8BL
Operator(s): K8BL
Station: K8BL

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: OH

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I thought I'd try the "Only Work Sections" task this year.

It's much more of a challenge than it appears. I did it years ago before
there were DX Clusters to help out and THAT was really tough!

First, you can't be a Run Station since everyone except who you needed
would be calling. Second, you need to know what Sections would be likely
to be on what open Band and when. Third, you have to constantly tune up
and down the Bands if the Sections aren't spotted (50% of the time) and
hope you can find a Run Station in a needed Section. Finally, you have
to bust through a pileup if it is a rare Section. All of this is very
time consuming and sometimes frustrating. But, it can be loads of fun!!

My first Section was NT of all things! A VY1 was in a QSO just prior to
the start of SS and holding a frequency. It took almost 1/2 an hour, but
I didn't want to worry about finding him again.

My last three Sections were KY, PR and NL. KY seems to be hard to find
lately for some strange reason. My KP4 was a guy who didn't intend to be
in the SS but Contesters kept calling him and he decided to give out a few
Q's to those of us who were begging. VO1 was my last one on Sunday morning
and he was extremely patient with the HUGE pileup he had going. After every
Q it seemed like 15-20 seconds before he could pick out anything like a Call
and try to come back to a station. I must have tried for almost 45 minutes
before getting through and there were still guys calling on top of our
Exchange. Luckily, I had everything copied down and knew what the info was
going to be!. The sweep was "In the Log" by about 10 AM local time.

Station:
ICOM IC-7700, Double Bazooka Inv Vees on 80 & 40, 4 El TET Triband @ 50'
Computer: Old Dell Windows 98 with CTWIN (Crusty, Rusty & Trusty!)