[3830] SS SSB N8BC(K8BL) SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 18 12:19:57 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8BC
Operator(s): K8BL
Station: K8BL

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: OH

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

After completing a Clean Sweep with my own Station Call, I thought I'd try
for another Clean Sweep with our Local Club's Call. Could I do TWO Sweeps
in ONE SS??

Instead of just doing Click & Pounce from the DX Cluster, I decided to do
a little running since I'd be a new Call on the Bands and attract a fair
amount of attention. That all worked pretty good and my Section count was
building up quite well. I have to admit that I'd abandon a freq if I saw
a Section spotted that was badly needed.

All of this worked quite well since I really wasn't in a sweat to make
a lot of Q's and only hoped that the next station calling was a new
Section. It felt pretty nice when it was. I even had a chance to watch some
of the Football Game in spite of their lousy performance.

By late afternoon, I logged my last Section for the Sweep! The timing was
very good since storms & lightning were coming in and I was anxious to go
QRT.

The last three Sections were PR, NL and QC. I found a KP4 on 10M who told
me he wanted to be in the SS, but EU Stations kept calling him. So, I spotted
him on the Cluster and that solved that! The VO1 was the same guy I worked
with my own Call and he was still patiently cranking out Q's but on a
different Band with a lighter pileup. Lastly, I couldn't find a VE2 spotted
for several hours and couldn't find one by tuning the Bands. So, I pointed
the Beam NE on 20M and found a Run Freq. BINGO! After about 10 Q's the VE2
I needed CALLED ME! SWEEP-time!!! I made a few more Q's for an even 250 and
went QRT in time for a normal Sunday dinner. Two Sweeps in one Contest!!

Station:
ICOM IC-7700, Double Bazooka Inv Vees on 80 & 40, 4 El TET Triband @ 50'
Computer: Old Dell Windows 98 with CTWIN (Crusty, Rusty & Trusty!)