[3830] SS SSB VY1EI SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 18 13:48:32 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VY1EI
Operator(s): VY1EI
Station: VY1EI

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Yukon
Operating Time (hrs):

Great band condx on the higher bands. I spent the majority of my time on 10
meters to get the most bang for my watts. It certainly felt that contest
participation was up from last year. I moved down to 20m after 15m shut down on
saturday evening, and that band was so crowded with sweepstakes contesters that
it reminded me of the 20 meter pileups during CQ WW DX SSB from 2006 to 2009
when there were no openings on 15 meters or 10 meters.

It does surprise me how active the phone version of this contest is on sunday
afternoon compared to the very light sunday activity on the CW version.

I spent little time trying to get a sweep. I felt the pressure was off getting
a 80th anniversary coffee mug after getting (knock on wood) a sweep 2 weeks
ago. I only called three stations. I called a PAC station on sunday afternoon
and he was just as glad to get NT as I was to get PAC. I enlisted the gracious
assistance of N4PN to tag a PR station after I heard him work a PR station, but
the PR station couldn't hear me. I tried to call the NL station a few times but
I knew I had zero chance of breaking that pileup. And just like you, getting a
Northern Territories QSO can be a challenge for myself too!

Thanks for calling in!

Eric
VY1EI

Website: www.vy1ei.ca