[3830] SS SSB KL2HD SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 18 14:27:38 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KL2HD
Operator(s): KL2HD
Station: KL2HD

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Homer, Aaska

Best QSO count for me to date in any contest. Hooked up a loop wire antenna for
80m Sat night for a total of 2 contacts. Sunday morning I couldn't figure out
why there were lots of KL7 stations being spotted one after another when I
could not hear a single signal on 10-20m!  So I did QSL cards for over an hour
and a half fuming and wondering when the bands would open and checking every
few minutes. Was my coax broken? Eventually: Oh wait, antenna switch is still
on the 80 m loop! Turn the antenna switch and instant band opening to loud
siganls!  Off we go!  Ha ha! those 2 80m Qs the night before costs a couple
hundred on the higher bands.

Missed a couple hours of prime running hours due to other commitments.  Nemesis
this year were NNY, SNJ and NL to complete the sweep.

Thanks to everyone.

Jeff KL2HD

Icom 7000, Elecraft KPA500, Mosley Pro 57-b-40 at 60ft (and an 80m loop wire -
grrr)