[3830] SS SSB KD4D(@N3HBX) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 18 14:53:30 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KD4D
Operator(s): KD4D
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks again to John Evans, N3HBX, for letting me use his Poolesville station
again.  The new 40 meter stacked OWA antennas work great - as you can see from
my 40 meter numbers.  LOTS of those QSOs were on the inverted vee though.

What fun!  A personal best for me in SS SSB.  :-)  I did two things
differently:
1)  Really concentrated on maintaining a high run rate when conditions were
good.
2)  Changing bands or frequencies when rates seemed too low and not worrying
about holding a frequency for hours.

Previously, my best hourly rate on SSB in Sweepstakes was 100.  This year, I
had FOUR hours over 100 - including a 114 hour running on 40!

"Conventional wisdom" in MDC is to avoid the high bands and on
Saturday night, 80 meters is the place to be.  Well, I started on 10 and stayed
on 15 until I went to 40.  I didn't run on 20 meters until Sunday morning!

I couldn't get good runs on 80 Saturday night (or Sunday morning for that
matter) and ended up spending a lot more time on 40.  Sunday night, I couldn't
get good rates on 40 and went to 80 for the last hour or so.

This weekend showed that I have to be more flexible and CHANGE my plans if
something isn't working...even if it worked last year.

I heard LOTS of comments about how many MDC and VA stations were on...a good
sign!  A high point was an SSB QSO with N2YO - our first on SSB!  Great to hear
you, Chip.

Alberta was my last section for the sweep - VE4 and VE5 were EASY, but not
VE6.

Hourly rates and QSOs by section follow.

Thanks for the QSOs!

2013 Sweepstakes SSB - KD4D QSOs per band (Dupes removed)

       80      40      20       15      10      Hour Total
21	0	0	0	30	72	102
22	0	5	0	68	17	90
23	0	108	0	6	0	114
0	18	47	0	7	0	72