[3830] SS SSB K4LY Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 21 09:21:46 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Carolina DX association

Comments:

Antenna experimentation!   After using an EZ Hang slingshot to get a line over a
75' tree behind my house and a 55' tree in front of my house, the previous day,
I raised an 80M FW square loop Sunday afternoon using my two 66' towers as the
other supports.  Then the fun! I tried it out on 5 bands comparing it to other
wire antennas and a Hygain Hytower(my 10/15/20 tribander is lying on the ground
being repaired). I had RFI feedback which crashed my computer/Flex5000A on 10M
so tests were on 15/20/40/and 80M. The 80M FW loop was better than my lower
160M dipole fed with ladder line on all 4 bands,  The 80M FW loop loop was as
good or slightly better than 40M and 80M dipoles at 65' and was also slightly
better than my Hygain Hytower on 40 and 80M (much better for under 600 mile
contacts). All of this was done while casually operating the last few hours of
the SS.  Antenna fun!
Think I'll try 80M in the WW this weekend.