[3830] CQWW CW NN7SS(K6UFO) SOSB(A)/15 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 24 19:07:55 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SOSB(A)/15 QRP
QTH: WA

   15:  171    32      114

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

How many countries can I work on just 15m while QRP?
Answer: 114

Previous years I have worked as many as 126 countries
using three bands: 20, 15 and 10m. But single-band on
15m? Last month for SSB I only managed 92, but I knew
CW had to be better!

First two hours brought me 24 countries, mostly Pacific,
then 15m was dead for my evening.

Saturday morning, I could hear loud Europeans like IR2C
before sunrise. Starting at sunrise and for two hours
(15z to 17z) I raised my DXCC count to 73.

Then started the long process of looking for "workable"
new countries. If their signal was over S7 I had a
chance. I could hear many weaker stations that I could
never get an answer from. Some loud stations I couldn't
even get a "?", maybe they had a lot of local QRM. Of
course, sometimes the pileup was too unruly no matter
how loud the station.

In between finding new countries, I'd work a few other
stations - just because they were tuned in and CQing.

Europe and Africa faded out, the Caribbean and South
America came in, and my DXCC count climbed to 87! Then
came the Pacific again, until I ended the Saturday day-
light at 94 DXCC.

Sunday was more of the same, except signals much weaker,
and new countries were fewer. Finally, the ending bell,
and the DXCC total while single-band 15m QRP: 114

NN7SS Burt WA (K6UFO op)

15m: C-31XR at 71ft, C-3 53ft, 3el Steppir 40 ft
One Kenwood TS-590s turned down to 5 watts
Writelog software and microHAM keyer