[3830] CQWW CW NW3H SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 24 20:51:22 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NW3H
Operator(s): NW3H
Station: NW3H

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Skippack, PA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   20     9       13
   40:  104    16       53
   20:   80    20       52
   15:   68    23       52
   10:  131    21       72

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Only small part time effort.  This past week was very busy for me at work plus I
had to work on Saturday for the annual physical inventory (not originally
scheduled for this date) so that shot my Saturday until 2:30pm.  Band
conditions were terrible on Friday night and the normal QRM and lid fest
coupled with the fact I had to be in work at 8am made me head to bed at 10pm
the first night after about 75 minutes.  Had about an hour on Saturday
afternoon when I got home but then needed to take care of the girlies one of
which has a double ear infection so she is not in the bests of moods.  Saturday
night after the kids got to bed got up to 200 QSOs right before midnight when I
was done with 100K. 40 meters finally opened and that coupled with the addition
of a 80 meter second dipole helped there. I usually do not have much going on
with 80 so this helped the score a bit.  On Sunday morning had a couple hours
and I doubled my score in an hour just on 10 meters!  Got back into it during
nap time and finished up with 403qsos and 356K.  This is a new personal best
for me in any CW Contest.  My 2012 score was 72k.  I have really fallen in love
with CW over the last year but this was 100 percent search and pounce as my code
is getting better every time I operate but I still don't ever see myself
running.  I picked up two ATNOs in this contest all from Africa.  Propagation
was extraordinary there this year.  Have never heard Africa coming in as
strongly as it did on 10 and 15 meters on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Worked Zambia (9J) and Rwanda (9X) on 15 meters. Worked Fiji on 15 later on
Saturday as well as some VK and ZL.   Also picked up band fills in Tanzania,
Swaziland.  Worked D4C on 5 bands.  Will be interesting to see the final count
for new bands worked but at last count I was around 20.  Nice to see all the
activity.

The Mosley mini performs well especially in these conditions.  I am happy that
I have two dedicated wires now one for 80 meters and my Windom for 40-6.  Will
work on getting them higher over the winter now that the leaves are off the
tress and get them set for the spring.  I may play in the 10 meter contest if
conditions are good but otherwise this is usually my last contest of the year.
Wish I had more time but after a 56 hour work week and two little ones with
colds and ear infections I am happy to make some points for FRC.  I wish it was
during Thanksgiving weekend as I would have had much more time.  Thanks for the
QSOs.  73 and see you in 2014 de NW3H.

Rig: Icom IC-7600
Amp: Ameritron AL-811H
Antennas: Mosley Mini 32A at 43 feet