[3830] CQWW CW K8GU SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 24 21:24:42 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: FM19li

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   74    13       40
   40:  168    21       63
   20:  362    27       72
   15:  357    29       78
   10:  263    22       75

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I love CQ WW CW, but due to family considerations and the U.S. Thanksgiving
holiday, I rarely get to operate more than a few hours from my parents' place
in Ohio or from W8AV.  I kicked around SOSB efforts, but eventually decided on
the new CLASSIC overlay for familial constraints that will become clear in a
moment.  My wife, who is a librarian, had to work in the afternoons this
weekend, leaving me on daddy duty.  Mercifully, our 2-year-old still takes a
substantial nap in the afternoon, but I was limited on my ability to run
Europeans.

We recently moved to a new QTH (in October) and I hastily erected some antennas
for the many DXpeditions and contests in November.  I do not have SO2R working
yet, and it's a small miracle that the hexagonal beam hasn't lifted off and
landed somewhere between CU and VP9 with the winds.  And, I blew up the receive
port on my K3, I think.  So, I had no Beverages on the second night.

Enough excuses.  This was FUN!  Thanks to everyone who goes to rare and exotic
locations or makes a special effort to get on to work us zone 3/4/5/14/15/16/25
ops.

Station:

K3/100
AL-80B at 500-750 watts
TR4W software
Homebrew G3TXQ-design hexagonal beam for 20/15/10 at 7 meters (yup, 7) high
Homebrew "GU special" DXpedition vertical for 40 meters with just two
(!) radials on the ground
1/4-wave vertical for 80
NE 250-ft Beverage
W 250-ft Beverage