[3830] CQWW CW OL4A(@OK1RF/OK1RI) M/M QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 27 14:36:59 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OL4A
Operator(s): OK1DIX OK1DO OK1DSZ OK1FFU OK1HGM OK1NY OK1RI OK8WW OM6NM
Station: OK1RF/OK1RI

Class: M/M QRP
QTH: Brezina

  160:  464    14       60
   80:  878    18       81
   40: 1208    39      135
   20:  970    38      133
   15:  798    39      137
   10:  537    35      127

Already while leaving Gambia after our last outing from there, we thought what
will be next year. It was obvious we will go "somewhere" in the
future but not next year. In discussions someone just randomly mentioned the
M/M QRP operation of "OK2RZ and party" in 2009, and jokingly we said
that would be the complete silliness to try from Brezina next year. None of us
is QRP operator, only OK1DO tried once from his home QTH QRP on all bands. I
myself made only about 10 QRP QSOs few days before the contest on 15 and 40m.
That is all ! Similar all others with only OK1DO and OK8WW had some limited QRP
experience.

So OK when our 80m Yagi was going up before SSB leg we said, it is going to be
really decadent to go QRP with almost full size 3Y yagi on 80m !

Our goal was to beat the result of OK2RRR from 2009 - it was in inferior
propagation, so we said we should make twice as much i.e over 2.5 mil. We
checked the EU winners of single band QRP categories last years and if
calculated the best SB results it would give around 4 mil. points - so it was
our high goal the more real one was 2,5....
We could hardly imagine how it would be to come through the pileup for each
multiplier with 5W only. If someone would tell me we will finish with the zones
numbers we have on 40-10m I would proclaim him completely crazy. It was very
interesting experience. There were station loud and we called them through the
pileup and came through reasonably well, there were stations who just did not
hear us. It was interesting that to some stations you got through surprisingly
after 20 minus calling. The winner of the "deaf trophy" by far is
VP2MMM - probably local interference similar to our last year as C5A. He did
not heard us - OK that is fine but we heard many times more than 20 people were
calling and he was unhappily calling CQ all the time. Overall one gets to listen
around the bands this way much more then during HP operation, which was
interesting and fun in itself.

We are very happy with the unexpected final result, how ever I doubt we will do
it again. It was fun but also frustrating calling long minutes multipliers you
know would be worked in seconds. Also to go through the contest more-less
without any CQ was also sort of peculiar for us.

Thank you all for being patient with copying our 5W signals and hope to hear
you all next year once more.

73 !
Jiri OK1RI - for the whole group