[3830] CQWW CW GW4J SOSB/10 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 01:10:09 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GW4J
Operator(s): GW4J
Station: GW4J

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:  940    28       85

Running 100w to wire on 10m means you're at the mercy of propagation and the big
beams. Signals appeared around 0700 to 1900z each day but for the first and
last
hour or so I was either right at the back of the queue or just not being heard
by the majority of the signals around, and hearing all those mults at band
opening that I couldn't work was frustrating. That said some of the stations
that could hear me just before the close on Sunday were welcome Central/South
American mults including YN1 for my last new zone. On Saturday I managed at
last to get a run going to mainly Eu in late morning local time and then again
to NA in the afternoon; Sunday was not so good and only managed to run to NA
later in the day. I resisted the temptation to switch on the amp and cluster
etc as there's a chance I could post a new GW record for the category.

Nevertheless it was great to experience the fun of 10m contesting on a wide
open band for the first time and amazing to see 10m wall to wall with rf. I put
up a rotatable dipole close to the shack to complement my Cobwebb which is at
the end of 65m of rg213 and eating up around 40 of my 100 watts. I surprised
myself by cracking some of the big pile-ups of which ZD8X was the worst, total
bedlam. Much of Sunday was spent sitting in pile-ups or grinding out
S&P
that I hadn't already worked but gratifying to get the likes of Z81R and 3DA0ET
in the log. Really surprised I never worked any JA though I *think* I was being
called by one but simply couldn't make it out due to the extreme echo on the
signal.

Don't know if it was the periods of fruitless S&P on Sunday morning but
felt quite fatigued by the afternoon, like I'd been doing 40m with little or no
sleep. I definitely lost it for a short spell in the afternoon while running Ws
when I felt like an embodiment of Eric Morecambe's famous phrase (adapted) -
"I *am* sending all the right characters, just not necessarily in the
right order..."

73,

Stew, GW0ETF (with first outing of contest call GW4J)