[3830] CQWW CW K1AR SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 01:37:50 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1AR
Operator(s): K1AR
Station: K1AR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NH

  160:   63    13       43
   80:  345    22       97
   40:  600    34      125
   20:  556    38      133
   15:  683    39      140
   10:  472    32      134

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

ATTENTION CITIZENS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE:
I have magical powers and can predict with 100% accuracy that you will lose
power on Sunday, February 16, 2014. Plan ahead!!

Well, as with the rest of you it was a magical weekend until 1930Z on Sunday
when we lost power in the midst of 40+ MPH winds. What is more amazing is that
this is the third major contest in a row that this has happened. Someone is
trying to tell me something. Of course, in this town, we lose power when large
trucks drive by the power lines.

Anyway, back to the story. AR was very motivated for this one. I just love
seeing what is possible with wires and good conditions in the WW. Here's a few
details:

* Best hourly rate was in the high 170's.

* Used packet and skimmer. When I struggled with CQing, I would often move to
picking up skimmer spots. At times I could get the rate to 150+ for sustained
periods by doing this. They would come in so fast and furious that I wouldn't
even bother to see who it was; just land on them and listen for their call. It
was akin to virtual CQing.

* I worked nearly everything I heard. Exception was a 3B8 and J28 on 20M, which
would have made 40 zones. Crap! They just CQ'd in my face. Heard JT5DX weakly
on
15, which also would have made 40, but nada.

* Worked a number of cool things including HS0ZAR on 40M and a bunch of other
things over that way.

* I simply forgot was I was using most of the weekend and played like one of
the big boys. A real secret to operating with smallness.

* Now, please sit down gents. Many of you know I am a class ONE appliance op.
Yeah, I have a MSEE, but... At about 1500Z Sunday the SWR went sky high on
everything. Perfect timing. I was only working guys at 150 an hour. Two hours
later and after checking all the usual suspects, I concluded it had to be my
tuner. Sure enough, I had fried some caps. Being a wire guy, I obviously had a
spare tuner (that was also defunct) and stole the caps from that one and
installed them in the operational unit. Yes, I diagnosed this and made the
repairs all by myself. Of course, it took an extra 10 minutes to find a
screwdriver. I'm such an AR. But, repairs were made and off to the races again
only to lose power two hours later.

* I'm guessing that 8M was possible this weekend from here. For sure I did miss
a great 40M final run and a ton of late afternoon mults.

All-in-all it was a great time. Kudos to CQWW Director, K5ZD, for arranging
such fine conditions. And, serious kudos to all the great ops who made us proud
this weekend.

73, John, K1AR

Antennas:
80M Dipole @60'
40M Inv-V @70'
160M Inv-L
500' NE Beverage
150' of Rohn 25 laying in backyard woods
Several spools of spare wire
Slingshot