[3830] CQWW CW Z81R(OH2PM) SOSB/10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 01:52:54 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: Z81R
Operator(s): OH2PM
Station: Z81R

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH:

   10: 3030   130       37
------------------------------
Total: 3030   130       37  Total Score = 1,521,408

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This was a totally new experience. This may well be my first ever 10 meter
single band operation in CQWW CW.
The band was reasonably well open but closed to NA direction much earlier than
in the beginning of the week the flux was very high. The band opened one hour
after sunrise and closed one hour after sunset. The was sporadic short peaks
during the night hours but they did not produce more than about 150 QSOs and 10
multipliers. The station was used on 80 SSB during my breaks. Some 95% of all
QSOs and 93% of multipliers were made during the 12 daytime 12 hours. Thus a
1.3 M score in the classic 24 hour category was doable but who would take the
trouble of travelling all the way from Finland to South-Sudan with a lot of
excess luggage just for a 24 hours contest.
The station set up was FT3000 plus ACOM 1000. Antenna was 4el short boom yagi
on top of 8,5 m tower. Actually there was a locally welded 6,5 m tower on the
site
and 2 m extension piece was carried from Finland together with the antenna.
Rotor was a classic arm/foot-strong. A rope from the both ends of the boom and

steel rods on the ground marked for 6 directions. The operator was then getting
the necessary refreshment by running some 50 meters back and forth to set a new
direction. In my opinion at least 5 more meters of antenna height would have
produced considerably better signal to JA and W/VE directions. However our
emphasis was on the low band antennas and the performance of the temporary set
up was surprising me positively. Japan is namely some 11000 km away and USA
11000-14000 km while most of the European customers are only 4000-8000 km to
the north.
Building the the low band antennas in the sunshine during the daylight gave a
nice suntan. There has also been no time for shaving so people back home might
be asking where I have had my relaxing holidays.
The first operating experience in this area was very positive. I have earlier
worked from CT3,EA8,S9 and 5R8. It is quite cumbersome to get all the stuff
down here compared to those more tourism oriented areas.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and see you again in the contests.

Pertti, OH2PM