[3830] CQWW CW K9CT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 01:55:53 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K3WA K9CC K9CT K9ZO KB9OWD N9CK
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL

  160:  100    18       50
   80:  426    28      103
   40: 1355    37      141
   20: 1219    40      142
   15: 1679    39      149
   10: 1291    35      146

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Lots of fun for our team...and a great team too. The conditions were quite
interesting...always a band, two or three open for running. We could sense some
effects of ionospheric disturbances, but for the most part it was great.

We had a visit or two from Murphy and he is not welcome. The temps dropped from
the beginning of the contest and when the temp hit freezing so did our rotators
on the multiplier antennas! It was dark and no way to investigate safely.

I later found a fused relay in the control box. The clue was the freezing
temperatures....found out there is a way for water to seep into the gear box.
These have been up for two years and never a problem but this weekend we found
out! Murphy later appeared as a high intermittent SWR on the 40m stack at 4
am...thank goodness not a high rate period. A bit of troubleshooting found some
liquid (?) in one of the inside connectors. Probably could have made a few more
contacts if some of this had not happened but still did better than ok.

Our goal was to break our station and W9 record from last year. We did that in
the last 12 hours of the contest and were quite happy to achieve our goal. We
have already studied some missing zones and DXCC and know we could do better
next time. Just got to move more stations!!

It was again a great deal of fun to post our score live on
http://cqcontest.net/
Please consider doing that next year with your team. Nothing like horse racing
to keep everyone focused.

Congratulations to everyone in the contest...without you this would not have
been this much fun. This was the most QSOs that we have made in a single
weekend at K9CT.

The team brings food to share and between that and the terrific off line
conversations, we have a lot of fun. We always treat the team to pizza and beer
at the local pizza joint after the contest. Everyone is tired but the
conversation is lively as we relive the contest.

Thanks to the entire team...including first timers George, K9CC and Steve,
N9CK. They did a great job and are always welcome back.

73, Craig K9CT