[3830] CQWW CW K1HTV SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 02:11:30 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   16     7       11
   80:   82    17       61
   40:  183    32      105
   20:  354    38      128
   15:  288    34      126
   10:  337    30      129

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: K3
Antennas: 160M - Shunt fed 75 ft tower
           80M - Inv-L & low 80M dipole
           40M - Wire groundplane & ZS6BKW (modified G5RV)
           20,15,10M - A3S triband yagi at 77 ft

Soapbox:
This was my first CQWW contest in decades worked as K1HTV.  After 19 years of
operating the 160 Meter position at W3LPL in almost all CQWW & ARRL DX
contests, I will no longer be able to make the long drive to Frank's Glenwood,
MD QTH. Because of my XYL's medical issues, I will have to stay closer to home.
 I will surely miss being part of the W3LPL team of great contest ops.

The K3 transceiver worked great. In this contest I made 2.5+ Million points
without calling a single CQ.  Even with 100 Watts, a high percentage of QSOs
were made on the first call. I found that at 30+ WPM my K1HTV call often was
received at K1STV, which required correction. Eventually I dropped the speed
down to around 24WPM when I sent my call and got better results. After having
the call for 55 years I'm not about to change it for a vanity call and will put
up with the problems that folks have copying it.

I found the conditions to be great. Had no problems with 100W working Asians
(A6,BV,BY,HS,JT,VU, etc.) and loads of JA's or the Pacific (DU, 9M6, YB, 5W,
V6, V7, KH0, KH2, KH8, 3D2, 3D2R, etc). Even worked a few new band countries on
40M. Was surprised on 40 Meters to be able to work JT5DX at 02:08Z Sunday and
A65BP near the end of the contest.

Broke from the contest to chase and work VU7AG for a new one on 30M. All in
all, I had lots of fun operating the CQWW from my Amissville, VA QTH. Looking
forward to working more DX contests from home, but sure will miss the 160M
operating position at W3LPL.

73,
Rich - K1HTV