[3830] CQWW CW XT2FCJ M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 09:12:41 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: XT2FCJ
Operator(s): OK1FCJ OK6DJ
Station: XT2FCJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Ouagadougou

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   30     8       24
   40:  720    25       64
   20: 1443    31       94
   15: 1519    26       99
   10: 1811    22       85

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

We have continued our expedition XT26DJ & XT2FCJ during CQ WW CW signing
off
as XT2FCJ to make call sign easier to copy. Contest operation aim was easy for
us. Enjoy pile ups for us  and make as many as possible qso’s with those
needed us for mults, hopefully 4k+ QSO.

Our setup in Ouagadougou was following:
Radios :1st K3 + HLA300V plus, 2nd TS 480 , all wired through LAN
Antennas: Spider beam 5 bands 10m up, Vertical sp7gxp, inv Vee 80m at 8m apex,
LW 160m

We were expecting to have wifi, well signal was on the edge level 10 -15% in
our bungalow E. Usually we were able to connect to wifi router without any data
transfer. DX Cluster we could not use at all. We had to leave bungalow 15m to
be
closer to hotel reception to catch better wifi ;) not much useful for
contesting.

Antennas were performing as we expected. Spider beam had usually stronger
signals reception approx 2s comparing to vertical. Inv Vee 80m was OK, but LW
160m was useless. We could not make any QSO there.  QRN on 160 was furious and
even 80m was not so silent. Definitely we can confirm TS 480 is not well suited
radio for big pile ups and contests.

During contest we have concentrated on higher bands, which are significantly
longer opened comparing to central and east Europe locations behavior we know.
We worked US stations usually till midnight our time moving and changing vice
versa from 10 later to 15 and last 2 hours on 20.  Main problem was mutual
interference between radios & antennas. Whole Saturday we transmitted
with
just 100W not to interfere other station. On Sunday we could use approx. 300W
on K3 setup as we worked mainly from  K3. Interference forced operator model
that one was usually transmitting while other one doing other things (swimming,
sunshine, relax, sleep, meal ….) becase we had in Ouagadougou about 35C.

Pileups. Pileups should devote separate story….Pile ups for us were mostly
fun unless we replied to selected station asking for rest  of uncopied call
sign and dozens of other s breaks with their call over and over. .. two times
during contest  I got too nervous and  left frequency  due fact that rate
slowed from 150-200+ to 50-70. Europe was leading by far, but similar behave
even come from US guys…a bit surprisingly for me. Anyway 80%+ pileups were
relatively easy to manage, well maybe not first 5-10 minutes after DX cluster
announcements.

Visiting of XT2 took us half year of preparation including tickets,
communication with telecommunication office, various expensive vaccinations,
VISA application and many more. At the end you are RARE one.. We enjoyed it
very much and hope that most of you have had chance to catch us on bands. It
was our pleasure to be there and made QSOs with hams all around world. Total #
of QSO reached almost 18 000 for 8 days of operation.

Thanks to all stations we have had a contact from XT2.