[3830] CQWW CW VE3MGY SOSB(A)/160 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 09:25:16 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: SOSB(A)/160 LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  500    7        19
Total:  500    7        19  Total Score = 25,324

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I can also echo what others have said about the very bad condx on 160. There was
very high absorption and long deep QSB - even on NA signals. Zone 3 would be S7
one minute and NIL the next. All Friday night even with S0 noise I heard only a
few EU and they were very weak and sounded watery here. In fact other than D4C,
I could not get anyone's attention across the pond with 100w. So there were no
QSO's from 14, 15 or 16 for the first time ever. In fact I can't remember the
CQWW CW ever being this bad on 160.

Saturday night was a completely different ballgame as it started snowing just
before sunset and didn't stop till Sunday afternoon. In total we got 2.5 feet (
yes feet ). The snow static was S8 to S9+10 on all antennas all night Saturday.
I was thinking about getting some sleep but decided to keep going anyway and
ironically had a PB for QSO's although my DX count was less than half of what I
was expecting to work.

See you all in the ARRL 160 - hopefully with better condx.

73
Brian
VE3MGY