[3830] CQWW CW AF6GA SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 09:29:34 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AF6GA
Operator(s): AF6GA
Station: AF6GA

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Cupertino, CA

   40:   8      7        6
   20:   8      1        1
   15:  43     21       19
   10:   7     34       32
------------------------------
Total:  66     34       32  Total Score = 12,540

A noob's impression of the contest:

A completely new experience as I'm still trying to learn CW.  I'm in awe at how
some operators are able to work at 35-40+wpm during the contest and it made me
realize how much more time I need to practice ;)

There were only about 5 stations that I could copy without
"assistance" from CW Skimmer, and those were in the 20-23wpm
range.
Everything else was in the 25-30wpm range and that was tough.  I ignored
anything over 30+, had a pile up, or was weak/fading as I wasn't going to be
able to reliably copy that - with or without assistance. So as not to slow
anyone down I used  a couple of memories to send.

Most of the time was spent hunting for new zones/countries and managed to add 4
more ATNOs and learn some of the typical exchanges so overall was a fun
experience.  I'm trying to not get too demoralized by huge gap in wpm, but will
hopefully aim for an unassisted entry next year.  Didn't use spotting, just the
skimmer for assistance.

More G4FON/Morse Runner to get there....

This was the first K3/100 experience - freshly assembled this week.  The
400/250 filters are very nice compared to how overloaded my old IC-7k got with
the many strong signals around.  It's a good way to quickly learn, by need,
which features to figure out first.  So a fair amount of time was spent
RTFMing.

K3/100 - 68ft doublet sloper @ 40ft
CW Skimmer, N1MM