[3830] Oceania CW NH2T(N2NL) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 13 06:37:48 EDT 2013

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: NH2T
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guam

  160:   25     22
Total: 2191   1371  Total Score = 11,833,101

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Fantastic conditions on all bands... it is rare when 80 and 10 are equally good
during the same contest weekend.  I took three hours off between the time when
the bands closed to NA and when they reopened to EU, since activity was not
very high in Asia.

Thanks to everyone who called, especially to those who chased me on multiple
bands.  The pileups got pretty big at times, so I was forced to go split so I
could be heard.  Then the bands were open to EU, I used the RBN telnet cluster
to fill the band map so I could find a frequency where I could go split and not
kill someone adjacent to me.  Sometimes the EU pileups were a KC wide so simplex
would have been impossible.  This is a tactic I would try to avoid during CQWW
when band space is limited, but I don't think it was an issue this weekend
except maybe on 40m.  I tried to listen up .5 to .8 but most would call one up
and higher.

The high band opening to NA seemed quite weak in contrast to the big EU
pileups. Just enough of a disturbance to put a flutter on the NA stations in
the northeast.

We had a tropical depression pass over Guam yesterday.  The storm intensified
rapidly as it passed, first to a tropical storm and now typhoon.  The result
was high winds and frequent lightning which made copy difficult on the low
bands early, until after NA sunrise.  Fortunately the noise diminished as the
storm pulled away to the West, and there was no damage aside from some normal
future Beverage work clearing branches from the wires which is a monthly chore
anyway.

The new QTH seems to really perform well, especially into Europe, and I was
able to operate through the night (for the first time since starting
chemotherapy) without difficulty so I am looking forward to the CQWW DX
weekends.  Some photos of the location and setup here:
http://www.n2nl.net/?p=979

Thanks again to the OCDX contest committee for putting together a really fun
event!

73, Dave KH2/N2NL