[3830] Makrothen RTTY AB1J SO/Single Xcvr LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 16 18:04:58 EDT 2013

                    Makrothen RTTY Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO/Single Xcvr LP
QTH: Waltham MA FN42
Operating Time (hrs): 18:12

Total:  386  Total Score = 1,584,328

This is a fun contest with strong evidence for intelligent design:

1. Distance scoring
2. No bogus RST
3. Runs in convenient segments

For someone like me who lives in the US Northeast, distance scoring doesn't
make all that much difference, but it is good for those in more remote areas,
whether it's our West Coasters or the guys in ZS or down under in ZL and VK. I
like the flatter playing field and think it makes for an overall more exciting
contest. I hope the Makrothen grows to rival some of the old fashioned contests
and their archaic 20th century rules.

I never missed the time consuming 599. Neither did my decoders. Chucking it is
a great way to save time which is something RTTY folks are always so concerned
about.

Anyone over 65 will probably appreciate the 8 hour on and off segments.

There was more activity than I expected, a good sign. It was strange not to be
always scouting for mults, as well as seeing the the blank N1MM "Available
Mults" screen. Conditions were good and even 10m showed some life.

Thanks for all the QSOs. I'll see some of you in the CQ WW SSB and CW. This
year the CW is the weekend before the USA Thanksgiving so I hope more W/Ks can
participate without disrupting their family gatherings.

The setup was the usual conglomeration plus one grumpy OF with a really bad
back who's going under the knife on the 21st. Maybe his disposition will
improve. One would hope so.

73,
Kermit (Ken), AB1J