[3830] CQWW SSB KS0MO(K0VXU) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 27 20:59:04 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KS0MO
Operator(s): K0VXU
Station: KS0MO

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Kansas -Zone 4
Operating Time (hrs): 17:54

  160:    3     2        3
   80:   43     9       25
   40:  101    19       54
   20:  147    27       69
   15:  316    29       90
   10:  217    17       64
------------------------------
Total:  827   103      305  Total Score = 954,312

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

This is the club callsign of the Kansas City Contest Club.  The call was used at
the station of K0VXU.

Only a limited time to operate, but it was really fun to have 10 and 15 meters
completely open.  On Saturday I was hearing contest activity well above 29.000.
 The QRM on 10 and 15 was like the old days....wall-to-wall signals with hardly
a space to fit into.  20 meters was about the same.

After about an hour or two of hitting hard on 10 meters, my amp quit working on
that band.  I fear there is a link between wafer sections of the bandswitch that
came under soldered.  No other damage, just all of a sudden no output.  So I had
to operate the rest of the contest on 10 meters running barefoot.  My TH6DXX is
set for CW, so I had very little output power in the phone section of the band,
but I still managed to work through some pileups....most notably, V51YJ Sunday
afternoon. (Well, I had to wait until the big boys got through)

Only 37 zones worked (missed 29, 36, & 39).  I felt like the most was made
of the times available to operate.

A surprise was 7O2A from zone 37.  I had him repeat his zone jsut to make sure
I had heard it right.

All in all a very enjoyable contest this time around.....just wish I could have
worked the entire contest period.  Maybe next year.

Thanks to all the radio operators who so patiently worked to get
Kilo-Sugar-Zero-Mike-Oscar correctly logged.  I have to admit is is a mouthful
in contests.  But the callsign is a compromise of our members---half live in
Kansas (KS) and the other half live in Missouri (MO).

73,
Russ - K0VXU