[3830] CQWW SSB NH2T(N2NL) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 28 03:12:58 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NH2T
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: NH2T

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guam

  160:   37    10       15
   80:  274    27       53
   40:  612    34       75
   20: 1053    33       97
   15: 2226    36      100
   10: 2769    39      103

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

SO1R - Elecraft K3+AL1200
-Spiderbeam @40ft
-40ft vertical with a mix of top and base loading for 40/80/160
-Thee Beverages (NA, EU, VK/ZL)

I think most already know but it was a busy summer for me starting with an
unexpected diagnosis of stage 3 colon cancer in May (but currently with no
evidence of disease and an excellent future prognosis), subsequent
chemotherapy, and a forced QSY to a new location following the closing of my
former military housing area.  The past several months have been extremely busy
while I relocated my station and installed three new Beverages on days when the
chemo side effects allowed (antenna work makes for great therapy!).  Added to
the mix were several tropical disturbances over the past six weeks including
one that changed my Spiderbeam's polarization from horizontal to vertical when
it bent my mast into a perfect 90 degree angle.  Timing was perfect because I
got finally everything together and working last week, plus this is my chemo
"off week" with only one round remaining until complete so I felt
pretty good.

I really prefer CW to SSB and was cringing as 00z approached knowing that I
only lasted eight hours in OCDX SSB before my voice went out, but it's CQWW SSB
and it's my last from KH2 as I transfer somewhere new in June 2014.  Once the
contest started the anxiety disappeared, aided by the best conditions I've ever
experienced in a contest from Guam.  The time flew by and I finished with only
one 10 minute break out of the chair to grab a shower.  My voice held out,
aside from some challenges during the last couple hours when my mouth decided
it wanted to quit pronouncing phonetics a little early.

This morning the latest tropical circulation started started passing through
with high winds, heavy rain, and embedded thunderstorms. One of my patio chairs
got blown into the base of my vertical about an hour before SR knocking out my
40 and 160m loading, and the wind stirred up a new power line noise source
which caused much frustration with very intermittent S9 noise which made the NB
worthless and covered callers completely.  I came just short of my 7K QSO goal
but thanks to the conditions was able to break CT1BOH's excellent continental
record he set back in 2000 as KH7X.  This record was the carrot that kept me in
the chair.  I'm thankful because things could have been much worse -
NH2DX(KG6DX) lost power twice over the weekend and the AH2R team is out taking
antennas down off the hotel roof today in some nasty weather before their
flight home.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs... and I hope to see everyone again in WWCW with a
repeat of this weekend's conditions.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL