[3830] CQWW SSB KC1XX M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 28 09:37:48 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): DL4NAC DL6KAC KC1XX N1KWF W1FV WA1Z KM3T
Station: KC1XX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NH

  160:   46    13       38
   80:  523    26       87
   40: 1424    35      123
   20: 1806    39      150
   15: 3184    40      157
   10: 2660    38      156

Wow!  This weekend had to be the leading candidate for best CQWW SSB conditions
ever experienced in our ham radio contesting careers.  What a blast.  You know
how people say that everything tastes better with bacon wrapped around it?
Well, the bands taste better with the right amount of solar flux wrapped around
them!

Matt and Bill K1GQ rewired the station for smaller multi-op efforts when we
decided to take a break from M/M.  Rewiring the station was not a trivial
effort at all.  They did a ton of work to make this happen.

It was really great having Martin DL4NAC and Christian DL6KAC join the team for
this contest.  They had a great time and integrated really well with the team -
and had a lot of laughs with us as well.  Only regret is not having more time
to spend with them after the contest - but we enjoyed the time we had and look
forward to meeting again somewhere.

Special thanks always go to Matt's family for helping with some meals over the
weekend and generally reminding us that there is life outside of the radio.

Looks like lots of records will fall this weekend - this one looks like it will
be a new M/2 record unless another station checks in with higher numbers.

The high bands were super great and the low bands were decent as well.  A
pretty decent balance.  Over the pole openings on 20m in the middle of the day
kept us on our toes - had to occasionally break from 15/10m runs to go work
mults.  Keeps things interesting and fun.

There are still stations with really bad splatter - some of them may not know
it - but many do and use it as a competitive advantage.  Please examine your
transmitters and clean up - we all need to coexist in the limited spectrum we
have.  Make note of part 5 of the "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" section
of the CQWW Rules: 5. Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks)
or harmonics on other bands.  Yes, you could be disqualified.  Ignorance is not
an excuse.

Hope everyone had a fun time this weekend - it was a great one!

73,
Dave KM3T
on behalf of the KC1XX team