[3830] CQWW SSB VE7XF SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 28 16:21:35 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: near Vancouver

  160:    4     3        3
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   52    17       40
   20:  489    28       78
   15:  408    33       90
   10:  502    28       86

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Man, what a blast - just like the good ol' days!
I probably spent too much time on 10m, but it might be my last chance.

I started with 500 watts, but couldn't work the 7O on 20m on Sat. morning, so
had to switch to the 'big boy' amp - that few db makes a big difference.
And I had waited for YEARS to work Yemen until the recent DXpedition.

I find that I lose interest after about 6 hours of listening to all the
distorted splattery signals, and have to have a 're-adjustment break'.

Worked more Africans than previous contests (including ZD7/ZD8).

Mostly S&P, but had a few good runs into EU and NA. Not so many into JA, as
signals were tough to drag through the noise and QRM.

I'm afraid that the increased darkness for the CW affair will affect the EU
openings, but I'll be there anyway.

40m was a challenge, as my 40m dipole is unusable above 7.120 and no Qs on 80m,
as the antenna doesn't work on the SSB end. Hey, I'm mostly a CW guy! I'm
thinking that a dedicated HP antenna tuner for each of those bands might help.

N1MM, K3, P3, AL-1200, 3el Steppir, wires.

Ralph, VE7XF