[3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 30 07:04:38 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT

  160:   21    10       12
   80:  243    15       62
   40:  189    24       71
   20:  548    32      101
   15:  674    29      101
   10: 1343    27      101

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

An amazing weekend for sure as all have commented.  I heard myself saying WOW
a number of times.  Examples: VU2 calling in on a 10M run.Working 40M Asia and
10M EU at the same time. Actually running on 10M JA and S & Ping 40M EU at
the
same time.Running 80M EU with low power on SSB.  Hearing 7O and working him
first
call - then realizing he was legit for an all time new one on Monday.  Seeing
the
rate meter hit 375 a few times on 10M runs (low power USA - amazing).  There
are
many others.  It was for sure a top 5 contest condition weekend for me in my
career.
I wouldn't say it was better than the 2000, 2001, 2002 eras but we are so
starved
for them now that it feels better.  It was great and we all hope for more.

When the month started, I didn't think breaking the Low Power record again was

possible given the conditions predicted.  As the week of the contest rolled
around and
conditions were way better than originally forecasted then as flare after
flare
was kicking in and driving the CMEs all away from earth I realized that it
could be
shaping up for the perfect storm.  Which greatly changes strategy and goals
for
the weekend.  As I hit the 24 hour mark with 2.4 Million points, I knew that
if
conditions held at all and nothing broke, a new record was likely in store.

I broke the 2011 record at 1700Z Sunday with 4.1 Million points.  The QSO
record
fell at 1835Z with 2740 Qs in the log and the 2012 record fell at 1850Z with
4.48
Million points.  I then set my goal at unimaginable numbers for USA Low Power
SSB
of the 3000 Q and 5 Million gross points level.  I would not have dared dream
of
such numbers back in the dog days of 2006 - 2007 as I stared an K1ZM's Low
Power
record of 3.5 Million.  But I got there with ulimately 3050 Qs and 5.15 Million

points.  It is humbling to even write that.

Sure hope for a repeat in the CW test.  W3EF's record beckons...

73 and thanks greatly for all the Qs,

Ed  N1UR

I have not outlined the station in quite a while, so I thought I would take the

opertunity to do so now.

Radios:  FT1000MP Mk V x 2.  I really love these radios.  I have learned how to

set them for dealing with QRM on SSB and to handle packet pile-ups quite
nicely.
They always get fantastic audio reports and you never have to worry about
"rebooting" a Yaesu.

Software: Wintest.  A great product that allows me to sound like SO1R to the
person
I am working but I am actually SO2R.

Switches and Stacks: Array Solutions products.  Like the products and love the

support.  Thanks guys.

Hardline:  I have about 2000 feet of LDF5-50 in the woods.  My 2 towers are 250
and
400 foot runs from the shack.  At lower power, every watt counts.  Having less
than
1db loss to the antenna on every band is my goal.

Antennas:

I am on the side of a steep ridge that drops off about 120 feet and then slopes
down
another 500 feet.  The view from due north all across Europe through Africa is

stunning.  I am at 1200 foot elevation.  The South direction is flat.  The West
and
northwest are inclined up to a peak of 1500 feet.  I don't do great to those
directions.  HFTA is "dead on" from my experience especially if you
carefully measure
your elevations away from the tower for about 1000 feet in the important
directions.

160M - 2 el phased T top verticals with 48 radials under each.  Each 70 ft high
of wire.

80M - 2el phased array.  65 feet up but hugely ridge enhanced to EU.  Slopers
NW, SW, SE.

40M - 3el M2 at 80 feet (Antenna rocks!).  2 el delta loop to the south.

20M - 4/4.  Force 12 4el and a Telrex 4 el.  That system also rocks!  80 and 35
ft.
      A 3 el home brew south at 57ft.

15M - 6el M2 at 70 feet. 8 el Telrex at 30 ft.  And a 3 el Force 12 south at 50
ft.
     The M2 is just amazing.  It is the only antenna I have used allowing me to

     run JA on 15M from here in Vermont.

10M- 6 el KLM at 70 ft.  4el Home brew at 50 ft south.  8el home brew at 30 ft
EU (45 ft boom)