[3830] NA Sprint CW W1WEF HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 8 20:11:07 EDT 2013

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ct

---------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: YCCC Shark Bait

Comments:

NA CW Sprint Sept 8, 2013
Once again I never took the time to get N1MM going, so used the old HP DOS
computer and CT.
My first mistake was dusting the keyboard ten min before the start. I was set
to go but all kinds of garbage came up on the monitor because I pressed keys as
I wiped it, and I couldn't clear it.  Rebooted and started from scratch.
Next mistake, running guys before the start, although that was as much fun as
the contest. The problem lies in the fact that when the contest starts, you
cant remember if you worked the guy in the contest or before!  I should know
better by now. Maybe next time I'll just run guys before the contest, get to
say a few words, and forget the contest...hi
I drtank half a bottle of Five Hour Energy 5 min before the start, and felt
awake through the four hours. As I usually do, I started on 20 but could never
get any "couplets" going. That's where you answer a guy, work him,
and you keep the frequency for the next Q. When you sign with the first guy,
the fact that you signed your call at the end of the exchange tell others they
can call you on that freq. After the second Q you move at least 5 khz before
CQing, or 1 Khz before you answer someone else. I decided the tuning rate on my
radio is set up too slow...I have to look into whether I can speed it up a bit
for the Sprint.
I found that QRM from signals nearby was affecting my copying more than ever. I
cannot wear my hearing aids with my Beyers headset which causes feedback, but
if I wear smaller headphones   the hearing aids do no good because the mic on
the behind the ear hearing aids would be outside the headphone. I'm going to
try a bluetooth device that plugs into the radio and transmits directly into
the hearing aid.
After about 1hr and 20 min my rate slowed and it was time to go to 40.  I
usually make only two band changes, and had hoped that 40 would bring me back
on track to my 300Q goal.  In the middle of the first Q, I think with Todd
WD0T, my rig went into key down mode and I couldnt get it to stop keying for
anything, until I shut the computer power off! I restarted it, turned my
antenna further North of the shack, and never dared to turn it again. (Sri
Todd) Something must have been changed that had RF getting in now. I hadnt been
home to operate for almost 4 months. Couplets were a bit better on 40, but the
band, like 20, didnt seem right.
With one hour and 15 minutes to go it would take a miracle to   break 300 on
80M. I always feel weak on 80 and have to do something about it. My 4 squares
never sounded as loud as the dipole, and I never got a good run going.
I wound up with my usual 290 but mults were very good at 47 for 13,630. It was
a surprise to hear several guys again who had been out of action for years like
my old friend K2UA  (NJ2L).  See you in the next one...hopefully better
prepared.
JACK W1WEF