[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 16 10:22:44 EDT 2013

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: EMA

    6:  14      5
    2:  12      5
  222:   1      1
  432:   5      3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  32     14  Total Score = 532

QRP operation from Andover, Mass. Weather was clear, dry and 70F.

Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND, 5 Watts
- Icom IC-3AT
- 1/2 wavelength 6m dipole, homemade
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna
- AEA 2m 1/2 wave whip
- 12V gel-cell battery

Frustrating effort with minor equipment problems and stone cold dead bands. No
enhancements. 6m felt like UHF. Lowest QSO/hr and none outside of New England.

Ran down my batteries calling CQ. A new length of coax to the 6m dipole had
loose connectors and the 12V gel-cell died sooner than expected.

Made one 223.5 FM Q with the 3AT. Also made a 100-mile 2m Q with a 1/2-wave
vertical whip before I put up the Elk. That shouldn't have worked but it was
interesting that it did and that it was one of my most distant Qs.

The station now fits on a bicycle plus a knapsack as a portable VHF QRP kit.

73, Alexander N1PRW