[3830] SAC CW OH0V(OH6LI) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 22 11:01:57 EDT 2013

                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, CW

Call: OH0V
Operator(s): OH6LI
Station: OH0V

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Geta Berg

Total: 1887   202  Total Score = 860,318

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

I did something strange at the end of contest when syncing my two computers. I
lost 2 QSOs and one multiplier. Maybe I can find those somewhere, maybe not.
If not, some people lost their OH0 QSOs. I am sorry for that.

-- begin soapbox

This contest was the first one with the new all-band OH0V RF-wise more than 50%
ready. The station was supposed to be 65% done but there is some bug on 10
meters on tower 3. I could not fully utilise the T3 5o5o5 on 10. That affected
my 10m score to East.

Over the past times, many of our team has spent a total of many weeks on the
Åland Isles preparing the station infra. Finally, we are in the stages of
getting the rest of the RF done. That is not only the antennas. You can see a
part of OH0V on YouTube. The story will grow as we proceed.

About station internals, the automation was relatively manual still for this
contest. We are expecting to get tangible improvements for SAC SSB in some
three weeks or so.

I am taking all antenna hoisting HW with me back home to do some maintenance to
Finnish side stations I am with = had no room for amps in the car. Thus low
power. Also many usual tools had to be left at home when arriving for this SAC
CW. My arrival Friday and Sat morning were not easy, though. I was climbing
well over my share and had to nap during the contest.

Condition wise, I think this was not as good as SAC 2012 CW. I had a good start
to the contest but a successful night time propagation needs RF energy, so I
went to recharge my internal energy storage for some hours.

We had a steak-dinner with Tomi OH6EI of OH0Z right after the contest and my
gut feelings were confirmed. Tomi was struggling even with HP.

The bigger surprise came in Sunday morning hours after Sunrise. The rates were
un-acceptably low maybe two hours for me as I was LP. Maybe my estimations
based on recent high-power experiences were overrated and I was left behind of
my set score creating schedule.

Band summary:
10 never really opened.
15 was fun at times, but very momentarily.
I just about met my 80-40-20 score targets.

Looking forward to SAC SSB, then CQ WW SSB.

*Thanks* to all for QSOs.
--being LP--
Many stations QSYing for skeds I could hear but you did not hear me.
Thanks for trying !

73,
Jukka OH6LI  / OH0JJS atop OH0V Geta Berg, 300+ ft of solid Rock