[3830] Salmon Run K7SR M2 Cnty DXped HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 23 22:58:49 EDT 2013

                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: K7SR
Operator(s): K7SR K7EDX K7BTW W7VV N9ADG
Station: K7SR

Class: M2 Cnty DXped HP
QTH: ISL
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0      0       0
   80:   32     93       0
   40:  167    126       0
   20:  209    260       0
   15:  163     60       0
   10:   23      4       0
    6:    0      0       0
    2:    0      0       0
----------------------------
Total:  594    543    1137  Mults = 107  Total Score = 307,555

Club: Preston Radio Club

Comments:

We started setting up about 1:30 on Friday; we were on the eastern shore of
Camano Island, on Iverson Spit. We had two Steppir BigIR verticals, one Steppir
2 element beam, a 75m dipole and 80m dipole. Rig complement was two Elecraft
K3s.

The start of the contest greeted us with a S5-S8 noise level on various bands;
we believe it was power line noise, as it seemed to vary depending on rain,
sunlight, and wind, was prevalent on all antennas.  This noise continued
throughout the contest, lessening at night. The noise blanker on the K3's were
able to knock it down quite a bit, however we still were not able to hear all
the stations that were calling us. Sunday at 4am seemed like a good time to
bring the beam to a lower level, as the winds were very strong from the south.
Waves were splashing over the top of the sea wall around 8am. We stopped a few
hours before the end of the contest, as none of really wanted to fight the
noise any longer, and perceived that the weather was getting worse.  Denny
W7SNH, convalescing at home, was with us in spirit, and many times on the
cellphone to see how we were doing :-) See you next year in the Salmon Run!