[3830] CQ WW RTTY KC0W SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 29 14:53:41 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: KC0W
Operator(s): KC0W
Station: KC0W

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

-----------------------------------
Total: 1020       1       1    1  Total Score = 1

Bands were in great shape considering the doldrums we have been in for month
after month. Wonderful to hear 10/15 meters open to Europe & elsewhere. I'm
not much of an RTTY enthusiast but I am a DX pileup junkie & I gotta get my
fix however I can acquire it, hihi.............As usual I CQ'd for 100% of the
contest & didn't make a single Q by S&P. This is one of the great perks
of operating contests from here in North Dakota in which states are
multipliers.

I went QRT from the 'test on Sunday morning to accomplish other things around
the house.

 Murphy Lives:

 I hadn't operated RTTY for quite a while & something must have got changed
around in my MMTTY, N1MM configurations. I was wondering why no one was
answering my CQ's for the first 13 minutes of the 'test. I KNOW my signal is
not that piss poor. Anyway, it took me just over 2 hours to figure it all out.
It's really, really frustrating watching the pan adapter & seeing/hearing
all the RTTY activity but not being able to join the party.

 So I finally got everything going & had a blast. Had the Europeans &
JA's in a feeding frenzy Saturday night on 40 meters.

 Got kinda bored with the deedle-deedle of RTTY so I went to 12 meters CW for a
few hours on Saturday/Sunday. Lost a lot of contest Q's by doing so but I don't
care one bit. Ya gotta take advantage of good 12 meter propagation when we have
it, right? Worked a BUNCH of guys on 12 CW which was a good break up from the
monotony of RTTY. Plus, CW will ALWAYS be the king of operating modes for 'da
Cow.

  Most of the operators were pretty good..........Except:

 Why the heck do people send my call sign followed by theirs when I'm CQing?
For example, KC0W de XX1XXX. It's a really, really stupid operating practice
& all is does is add to the QRM. I'm not the brightest guy in the world but
(believe it or not) I actually do know my own call sign so there is no need to
remind me of it again.

  I have a new "secret weapon" which will be here next week &
will make holding onto a run a frequency absolutely child's play. This newest
"toy" is a 7 element 20 meter monobander on a 82' boom. I hope to
have it up on the tower before the cold ND winter sets in. I'm having 3 more of
these monsters constructed which will all be stacked on my rotating
tower........See QRZ.com under my call sign for photos.

 Blah, blah, blah, enough grandstanding. Hope you had fun in the 'test &
will listen for you next month in CQ WW SSB.

As usual, the KC0W contesting mantra:

***I contest for the FUN of it from here in North Dakota & not to collect
any
awards, plaques or "wallpaper". I use my general logging program to
track
the total number of QSO's made & leave it at that. This is why I have no
information regarding my total number of mults or a final score.***

See ya,

Tom KC0W