[3830] CQ WW RTTY K4VV M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 29 15:06:06 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K4VV
Operator(s): W4TMO K3WI W0YR
Station: K4VV

Class: M/M HP
QTH: VA

   80:  165       39      24    12
   40: .436       37      54    16
   20:  391       32      75    29
   15:  466       17      65    24
   10:  422       10      49    15
------------------------------------
Total: 1880      135     267    96  Total Score = 2,470,578

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Two thirds of this operation was done by remote control.  This was the first
full-blown beta-test of a RTTY contest by the K4VV Remote Contesting Project
crew.  Unfortunately, three of the operators we had counted on had to cancel at
the last moment, so three other operators hung in there for around 35 hours and
had a great time.  K4VV is located in northern Virginia near Washington, DC.
Jim-W4TMO operated from his hotel room in North Carolina while attending a
Parents Weekend at UNC.  Bill-K3WI operated remotely from his home in Maryland,
about 40 miles from the K4VV station.  Mike-W0YR operated in the K4VV shack and
handled any technical hiccups.  There were only a few problems; the result of
Internet dropouts at Jim's hotel.

A growing number of operators think it saves time to answer a CQ call or QRZ
with their own call sign AND the exchange.  This only muddies things up and
upsets the natural rhythm of contest exchanges, to say nothing of the
additional QRM with callsigns and exchanges all mixed up.  Others can't seem to
get even close to the frequency of the station they're calling and an even
larger lot run AFSK with the audio drive knocking the ALC indicators off the
peg.  This results in key clicks, wide and fuzzy signals and it all goes on
without the offending operator realizing (or perhaps, caring about) what he is
doing.  The Old Man, Hiram P. Maxim, W1AW used to rail on about
"rotten" signals.  That was one of his favorite words.  It applies to
many signals heard this weekend, but it could not detract from a great weekend
of fun.

The 10 meter opening Sunday surpassed Saturday's and reminded me of when, as a
kid I watched my Dad and his other ham buddies work the 1957 10 meter openings.
 They talked to the world with 35 watts and a wet noodle.

Thanks to Ed for managing the contest and to CQ Magazine for its continuing
support of the world's greatest radio contests!

Mike W0YR