[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE9AA SOSB(A)/10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 29 19:45:41 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: nb

-----------------------------------
Total:  207      17      53    19  Total Score = 50,374

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This was the fastest, -and- slowest RTTY contest I have ever entered.
Now, allow me quantify that by saying I am not really a "RTTY guy",
but the past 2-3 years I have dabbled in some of the more popular
RTTY contests here and there.  Usually running LP and wires. On 10m I am very
fortunate enough to have a small 5el yagi @ 24' and a 500W amp.

Because Saturday was a total write-off here and parts of Sunday were destined
to be, I chose 10m single band, HP, assisted, as I knew I would
only get 4 or 5 hours in on Sunday @ max. I had hoped the sunspots were to be
cooperative.  As it turned out, N1MM sez I sat my BIC for over 6 hours.
  Fine with me.  I have a new chair and needed a rest anyways, LOL.

I made 35.6 % of my total QSO's in a 50 minute span during the 1300-1400z time
frame.  I was on fire.  (ha ha)  My only RTTY pileup to date.
The other 5 hours were mostly 15-20 Q's per hour and mostly S&P at that.  I
don't know what was going on from 13-14z up here in the Hinterlands
of NE Canada, but I was sure glad I was there to experience it.  The remaining
part of the contest, (for me) was speckled with goodies.

Extremely happy to have VP8NO pop by to say hey but had to work hard for ZL3X
who called in about 3dB above the ether for my only ZL, but thanks for hanging
in there.
 I was getting a letter or two at a time but managed to pc it all together.  I
appreciate that.  Probably my longest QSO.  You guys rock !!

Very late last night, long after 10m was closed here,  I took a look at DX Map
after birthday celebrations here for my son, and it would appear plenty of
VK/ZL/JA/PAC Q's were made,
even up into New England but I was not QRV.  Tonight I made 1 x ZL and 1 x KH6
contact but no other PAC or VK or Asia to be had (nor heard).  I am writing
this at 2300z
 and while I have not heard much to speak of in the past 30 minutes,, there.
There is a FO5 flirting with the noise, but there is no way he would hear me
and , although I cannot hear it, likely
has a wall of W6's calling him.  There is always a very slim chance for a Es to
F2 link to something far out west or North West. (a KL7 would be nice!)

 I went assisted this time, which is unusual for me.  As it turned out, the
remote link I have to the internet was down more than it was up, so was almost
more of an annoyance than anything.
 I believe I made 1 or 2 multiplier QSO's due to assistance.  Meh, whatever.
It's different.  At times it perturbed me as the toe-print propagation paths of
the guys spotting did me no good.
I did not hear 90% of the DX being spotted.  I just did the usual
tune-tune-tune, find a clear spot, CQ, tune-tune-tune.  I can take or leave
assistance.

Shame more folks didn't stay on 10m, as activity seemed way down from the
"usual" contests. I am sure 15m was lit right up.

OK, 2345Z. I give up. Only 2 Q's this hour.

Thanks for the fun.  Was nice to dig in a bit and make a racket for a while.

Mike VE9AA IC-7410 N1MM, ~ 500w and LJ-105ca @ 24'