[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 30 20:50:26 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB(A)/20 HP
QTH: aB

   20: 1637      54      102    35
------------------------------------
Total: 1637      54      102    35  Total Score = 821,491

Looking at the flux values during the prior week and the predicted flux for the
weekend, I decided to go 20m rather than 15m. Solar flux is a major factor at
this northern latitude.  Conditions all weekend were very good due to the quiet
geomagnetic field. Friday evening started out with good condx to the US and
gradually as we approached local midnight the band opened very well over the
pole to central Asia and eastern Europe. Signals were excellent but I had to
get some sleep at about 0700z after a busy day at work and still recovering
from a bad cold. I’m sure if I could have stayed awake the score would have
been higher. When I got up at 1230 the band was still in great shape and this
lasted throughout the daylight hours. Saturday evening did not seem as good as
Friday night and so I took a few hours sleep at 0230z before getting up at
0700z. There were strong signals over the pole but they gradually faded so went
back to sleep at 0930 and got up at 1130. Lots of signals from Europe but I had
to S&P for a couple of hours as the Europeans were busy working each other
and not listening for NA.

Activity seemed really high and 20m was extremely crowded making it really hard
to find a clear frequency to call CQ at any time. On Sunday afternoon I had to
go up near 14.150 to find a clear spot.  In the US I missed only WY and SD and
in Canada never heard a VO1 a VE4 and of course the northern territories.
Overall the total Qs and mults were down from last year’s 15m effort but the
score was much higher due to the long European openings and 3 point QSOs. Very
little activity from Asia throughout the contest. I heard only one BY calling
someone but never worked him though I called a lot of CQs beaming to Asia.
Missed zones 24, 29, 35, 36 and 37.

Having 7 5 ele yagis provides an amazing amount of flexibility and I had to
turn the 200 ft top yagi only a couple of times to beak a pileup on a
multiplier that I needed.  Watching the spots there were about 10 mults I never
heard. Going in the assisted category sure makes for a more pleasant and
somewhat relaxing experience.

As always Don is a super host bringing me meals and coffee and making sure that
the station is in top shape. See you all on SSB.

Equipment: ICOM 756ProII, Alpha 76 amp
Antennas: 5x5x5x5 on a 200ft tower and 5x5x5 on 160ft tower