[3830] IOTA W1WBB SO(A)24Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Aug 2 14:13:54 EDT 2014

                    IOTA Contest

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: SO(A)24Mixed LP
QTH: NA-031 Aquidneck Is.
Operating Time (hrs): ~17

   80:    2       2
   40:   91      23        4       4
   20:  319      57       79      30
   15:    5       4
   10:    3       2        1       1
Total:  420      88       84      35  Total Score = 537,510

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Strategy was to maximize island QSOs for mults/points in S&P while at times
running to get QSO count up.  Kept at it over 12 hr mark with improved
conditions into Eu into Day 2, reaching 500k pts goal.  Best QSO/mult count for
me in this event.  Had 186 total 15-pt QSOs - 37% of all QSOs.

Taming the 'Eu Beast' pileup while running on CW once spotted on cluster was a
real challenge.  So many stations zero-beat on frequency with callers 500 Hz
wide and numerous out-of-turn/LID ops...discipline was enforced and I gradually
worked thru large piles on 20m and 40m to provide new mult for many.  Rig TX
issues kept me off 15m band so many add'l Q's/mults lost there.  Nice brief
opening on 10m Saturday to Italy about 2100Z added a few unexpected mults.

As this was primarily a 20m/40m contest for me I entered Mixed-mode to be able
to jump to SSB when things got slow and locate additional mults.  With high
Aurora level polar & near-polar paths were closed...not even a JA in log!
Good condx to Eu on 20m after 1800Z thru 0530Z - band remained open to areas
worldwide even as I shutdown after 0700Z.  Forty meters was very noisy with
much thunderstorm QRN - repeats on #'s needed often.

Event remains mostly an Eu contest from here...agree that much more
participation needed from Caribbean and elsewhere to make this really fun.

But always a good time operating from my island QTH!

QSOs to LoTW.  Rig: Icom 706mkIIG; Hexbeam up @ 32'; 88' Doublet up @ 45'; N1MM
Logger; vintage Dell computer on final leg - sorry for cw speed issues.

73,  Bill W1WBB