[3830] WAE CW KD4D(@N3HBX) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 11 08:53:09 EDT 2014

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: KD4D
Operator(s): KD4D
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD

   80:   57          96
   40:  390         114
   20:  666          88
   15:  722          88
   10:   26          18
-------------------------
Total: 1861  1840   404  Total Score = 1,495,204

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

An interesting and fun contest.  I had some excitement at the beginning - N1MM
wasn't sending QTCs.  For the first 700 or so, I had to send the QTCs manually.
 I  switched to an older version during the first break and all was well.

Sunday morning I FINALLY heard European callsigns on 10!  PYs and LUs sent
them.  An HB9 in PY sent one.  Not a European was heard.  Later Sunday
afternoon, there was a skew path opening on 10 and I managed to work 9
countries.

I followed my usual strategy of maximizing multipliers and sleeping some
Saturday night.  Given the conditions on 20 when I went to bed, and the usual
dismal rates Sunday afternoon, I think I would have done better to try to stay
up longer on Saturday night.  If I had, though, I might have been off during
the 10 meter opening - the off-time rules in WAE make for some interesting
tradeoffs!  :-)

Thanks again to John Evans, N3HBX, for the use of his great station.  The HI-Z
receiving array was not working and I think this reduced the 80 Meter totals a
bit.  I could hear New England stations working Europeans I couldn't copy in
Maryland.

   	3	7	14	21	28	Grand Total
0	0	63	19	0	0	82
1	12	56	12	0	0	80