[3830] NAQP SSB NJ8J Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 17 16:28:30 EDT 2014

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:34

  160:    1     1
   15:   37     6
Total:  234    80  Total Score = 18,720

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC

Comments:

Probably my best August NAQP SSB, mainly because I haven't done that many of
them.  I didn't realize how many I had missed until I looked it up to compare.
Still far from my Jan NAQP SSB 2001 entry, and not nearly as fun as the recent
NAQP CW.

Never heard anything on 10.  15 and 20 weren't that great.  Main difference
between 15 and 20 was that on 15 you could hear plenty of loud signals (just
not enough of them), while on 20 just about everyone was down in the mud.  The
contest didn't become fun until I dropped down to 40.  I had rates above 60 on
the initial sweep through 40, and even managed to run for a short while.  Ditto
on 80.  80 seemed to die in the last hour.  I wasted a half hour in the last
hour on 80 when I should have jumped back to 40.

Did this with the rig's standard hand mike, which means a lot of setting it
down to type on the keyboard and picking it back up to transmit, which can get
clumsy at times.  At one point, I thought W100AW/4 had taken my run frequency
on 40.  Realized shortly after that apparently I had accidently hit the UP
button on the hand mike, moving me up 100Khz and right onto *his* frequency.
Managed to work him, though I had to ask for his call (which must have been
amusing).  After that I made sure that I didn't leave the select marker in the
100KHz position.  I've got a headset/mike with a foot-pedal switch, but the
cable has a break in it.  I need to fix that before my next serious SSB
contest.