[3830] KsQP K7IA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 24 23:16:12 EDT 2014

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NM

   80:
   40:   27      5
   20:  110     42
----------------------------
Total:  141     47      0  Mults = 81  Total Score = 41,977

Club: Virden Contest Club

Comments:

Last year I spent more time and made more Q's and mults, but this year I had
just as much fun!  Unlike some of the more active state QSO Parties, the Kansas
event is more laid back, witnessed by many ops who take time to ragchew a bit,
making this event more of a party than a contest.

There were very few lengthy callsigns in this event:  of 194 QSOs, 189 of them
were 1 x 1 special event calls, and besides spelling KANSAS SUNFLOWER and/or
KANSAS QSOPARTY for additional participation recognition, one could probably
spell at least half of the words in the dictionary as well!

Many of the 1 x 1 callsigns were used by fixed station ops, and they plugged
away for the entire event, despite band conditons that limited most activity to
40 and 20 meters.  The real water was carried by the mobile ops, and those who
provided this op with more than five Qs were (listed in no particular order):

K0A  25  BOB     W0BH
N0A  11  RON     AD0DX
N0K  14  CHARLES K0HNC
N0U  12  BILL    NU0Q
W0A  14  (DATA NOT AVAILABLE--SORRY!
W0L  19  JERRY   K5YYA
W0O  14  JON     W0ZQ
W0Q   9  CONNIE  K5CM

Many thanks to all of the mobile ops!  Every one of you had surprisingly strong
signals into southwest NM, and it was a treat to work your setup from county
lines.

One of the high points of the event was working K0A (W0BH) who passed out four
counties in one QSO!

This event wasn't purely a guy thing, either.  Some Young Ladies were active as
well.  W0BH's wife, Lorna, K0WHY, did the driving while Bob worked SSB, handing
the mic to Lorna for twofers, presumably when traffic wasn't heavy.  And, as
you may have guessed, Lorna's callsign was K0Y!

I checked 15m activity on many occasions on Saturday and heard only OH QP
callers, but on Sunday, the skip was short from KS to NM, and signals were
surprisingly loud.  It pays to call CQ!

Many thanks to W0BH and his crew for organizing a good show!  This year's
emphasis appears to be rewarding, in some way, every participant.  There's even
a drawing for a plaque, so everyone gets a chance!  I had such a good time that
I'm already thinking about joining out of Oklahomans Jerry and Connie as a
mobile in next years running!