[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 01:36:15 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   11     7        7
   40:   41    12       12
   20:   65    13       13
   15:   96    20       20
   10:  157    24       24

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station: W8QZA

Rig: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Three element SteppIR up 32 feet
  40       DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet in center
  40-80    Butternut HF-2V vertical with 3 radials

Conditions were exceptionally good. I saw things and worked things in this
contest that I have not done before with my modest QRP station.

10 M: ZD8O, HK0A, and 5K0A ...yes both were on! I also worked HS0ZAH which I
have never worked in a contest before. I hear them in contests but can never
work them.

15M: ZS4TX. I also got 3B8MU and XU7AEZ which I have never worked in a contest
before.

20M: 20 M was remarkable with its morning opening to all of Europe. With QRP
from the west coast I almost never work Europe in the mornings on 20. I also
found 3B8MU. Both times I worked 3B8MU (15 M & 20 M) he was calling blank
CQs and easy to work.

I found several double mults (9K2HN & TF3CW) with strong sigs that I just
couldn't work; they called CQ right through me. I also heard VK4KW 0n 20 Meters
on the long path with good sigs, but same story and I finally had to continue
tuning.

My DXCC was 84 minus IT9 and GM/Shetlands to get 82 ARRL countries.I worked 29
zones. Not bad for 15.3 hours of op time.

Europe was my best continent with 34.6 % of my Qs in Europe. That only happens
at peak conditions!

I was only able to work at the rig for 15 hours because of Thanksgiving
relatives. Dinner was out of town and I didn't get back until late Friday. When
you are doing S&P and 50 per hour, and a grandson bravely comes into the
shack and asks me to take my grandsons to the park, I do it.

I had one careless and odd experience. When I got up on Saturday morning, I
went to 10 meters which was already open to Europe. I worked 10 European
stations over 30 minutes before I realized that I was using my DX-LB dipole as
the antenna. I checked the SWR afterward and it is close to infinity! Shows
what you can work in good conditions!

Well, see you in the ARRL 10 Meter contest in a couple weeks. I wont have to
worry about forgetting to change antennas in that one!

73,   Bill   W8QZA - W6QU