[3830] CQWW CW G2F M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 17:31:10 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G2F
Operator(s): G4MKP M0CKE M0CLW
Station: G2F

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Wisbech Cambs

  160:   91    10       56
   80:  649    28       94
   40: 1398    39      131
   20: 1073    39      134
   15: 1404    39      140
   10: 1169    38      134

Club: Wisbech Amateur Radio & Electronics Club

Comments:

Team G2F came together quite late but we were determined to have a crack at M1
for the very first time in CW, having previously posted reasonable scores on
RTTY and SSB legs all be it in M2.

However, with only three operators it was always going to be a tough ask to do
a record cw multi-op and we were not disappointed.

So, having got the excuses in early, this is how it went.

Jim (M0CKE) persuaded Simon (M0CLW) and Terry (G4MKP) to join the team. Plan
was for M0CKE to be the mult-hunter, M0CLW and G4MKP on the run station. With
admin (cooking, drinks, mending coax/switches and a little sleep) however, we
couldn’t sustain this split of duties and Simon helped out Jim on mults
leaving Terry to focus on run.

We targeted the 2013 G6PZ score which turned out to be a great motivator. We
opened on 40m and immediately hit good rates at +190/h. The move to 80m around
04h. was productive although hard work to North America with just a vertical.

Later on 15m we were sustaining good runs into UA9/0s and then JA with some
stonking great signals from many. A quick trip down to 20m and back up to
10m/15m for NA for the remainder of Saturday. By late Saturday evening (after a
bowl of Jim’s delicious home made stew) we are on target but only just.

Tiredness, lack of directivity on 40m but particularly 80m saw us start to fall
behind our target - I put it down to the four huge dumplings in the stew that we
each had.

By 06h on Sunday we were pretty much goosed but Jim kept going on mults for an
hour or two while Simon and Terry got some Z’s. Refreshed by a little sleep,
at 08h on Sunday we soon hit runs above a hundred/hour again and 15m delivered
another bumper crop and more good loud runs to JA.

Jim knocked up a brunch for us (I did ask what the difference was between the
cooked breakfast we had on the Saturday and brunch today; exactly the same
ingredients as the previous fry-up but served later and with beer, came the
reply). We got back on track for a couple of more hours with some nice runs on
40m Sunday evening but couldn’t make the necessary rates and mults to get
over the line.

A couple breakdowns were encountered, first in hour 3 with a coax fault feeding
the 6X2 switch on the Run station and on about hour 40 we had a problem with a
fuse holder on the Run amp which was quickly sorted.

A superb test with great camaraderie and good food saw us through. We know
exactly where we need to improve technically and tactically.

We will be back, bigger and better in 2015 :)

What a great year the G2F station has enjoyed in 2014 !!

Cheers and Beers all, see you in 2015 !!!

All @ G2F