[3830] CQWW CW W0LFA(AA7XT) SOSB(A)/10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 18:38:28 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W0LFA
Operator(s): AA7XT
Station: W0LFA

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: Glade Park CO
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:  935    37      146

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Went into the contest with the goal of working all 40 zones on 10 meters over
the weekend and only called CQ when there were no multipliers to chase. Missed
zones 17, 21 and 22.

I heard several zone 21 stations weakly Saturday morning with big pileups so
figured I'd swing by later and work 'em all. Well, when I came back they were
all gone! Doh! Sunday, I never heard zone 21 at all. Lesson learned - don't
assume they'll be around or louder, later.

I thought maybe there would be some VUs workable in zone 22 on 10m in the
evening if ten stayed open long enough but the band closed both nights around
0230z save for some ZLs which hung in quite a bit longer.

Ten never quite stretched to zone 17 either morning. Worked many Russians but
no "deep Russians."

Zone 23 (Chinese station) and 34 (SU0ERA) came easy. Happy to see club station
SU0ERA and the club station in Haiti active. Also happy with what feels like
growing contest activity from China, Thailand and Indonesia each year.

Sunday was a let down. Had 138 countries when i closed down Saturday night and
only worked 8 more countries on Sunday. Was hoping for a few last minute new
multipliers but they never showed. Heard lots of AU buzz on Sunday but the WWV
numbers never showed anything unusual ionosphere-wise.

Antenna was a prototype Force 12 XR6 "+40" which covers 7 bands on a
15 foot boom with two active elements on 10m. Rig was Flex 6700 which is
proving itself a fine contest radio. N1MM Logger+ worked great. Amp was a
borrowed 87A (thanks, K0UK) while my Prometheus gets a transistor upgrade.

See you in the 10m test!

73
Bill AA7XT