[3830] CQWW CW W1DYJ SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 20:07:56 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Maine

  160:   0      0        0
   80:   6      5        5
   40:  24     10       22
   20:  18     13       17
   15:  29     13       28
   10:  13      9       10
------------------------------
Total:  90     50       82  Total Score = 31,284

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig = TS-590
Antennas
----------------
	80-20-10	Fan dipole at 20'
	40-15		40M vertical with four elevated radials at 10'

Total Countries: 51 (One new: Mauritius, my 213th)
CQ Zones = 20
Log: N3FJP Ver 4.6 (w/SCP and Band Map)

After joining the YCCC 3 1/2 years ago I realized that staying with phone
contests was not going to hack it.  So, I decided six months ago to get back
into CW, a mode I had not used since my novice days 52 years ago!  At that
time I set a goal of entering the CQWWCW this year.  I’m a reasonably
proficient phone contester, but I have never been in a CW contest.  My
code copying skills are now around 10 WPM at best, so I knew the contest
would be a challenge.  And my "little pistol" station adds to the
challenge.

I arrived at my QTH in mid-coast Maine late Thursday after Thanksgiving
dinner.  The recent snowstorm had taken out power Wednesday night so out
came the generator.  It finally came back at 9 PM Eastern Friday.
Unfortunately this meant I didn’t fire up until around 10 PM.  I spent
most of the rest of Friday night just listening to get my mind around
the rhythm of the exchanges and learning how to use the Band Map and
the “F-Keys.”  This is the first time I’ve listened to CW at 30-35 WPM,
so it was a bit intimidating!  It was also the first time I have run assisted.

I finally took the plunge Saturday morning around 9 AM.  It took a long
time for each Q as I listened far more than I hit “F4.”  But slowly I
figured out the rhythm of a CW contest.  Fully S&P, and mostly looking
for Mults.  Although a small score of only 31K, it was a blast and I
think I actually like CW contesting better than phone!

On to ARRL CW.